OXIDIZED cholesterol IS
OXIDIZED lipids ARE
Potatoes are actually pretty healthy, So why aren't french fries???
Because fast food french fries and any deep fried foods have oxidized oils.
Olive oil is healthy for you but if it's oxidized it is NOT.
How do you know if the oil is oxidized?
- Smell it. If it smells different than it did when you bought it, chances are it's going rancid.
- Look at its color. If it's turned a different color, chances are it's turning rancid.
- After a quick research I found several different sites stating you can cook with olive oil and many sites stating you shouldn't. HERE'S my theory, if you're creating smoke in the cooking then it's too high for sure. Either way, I prefer to use olive oil cold or not cooked.
I use coconut oil for popping popcorn. It has a higher cooking temperature.
Coconut and peanut oils have higher smoke points.
Corn, canola, and grapeseed oils are touted great for cooking but remember, they are highly associated with GMO (genetically modified organisms).
My favorite guidelines....
- Use olive or vegetable oil without creating a smoke point.
- Use coconut oil more often.
- Use olive oil cold/room temp for health benefits.
- Keep all oils/butters from oxidizing.